Thursday, August 30, 2012

Somewhere, over the Rainbow.

I was on my lunch break today and I saw a homeless man with a sign that read "Without the Rain, there would be no Rainbow" he was sitting on the curb in the pouring rain. I was running around, getting a cup of coffee, and I pretty much froze in my tracks when I saw him. His face was covered in dirt, his hair grey and scraggly, his remaining teeth were rotten. His clothes were tattered but he seemed to be happy. I stood there mystified and he gave me a grin, and I smiled back.

This man, with his shopping cart full of possessions had a lovely sign. It was a message for not only him self, but for everyone who was meant to see it.  

I was meant to see it.

I can't help but think that he wasn't actually talking about the rain, but the experiences in life and what's going on around us. Was it a coincidence? 

I don't know if it was the drops from the sky or tears in my eyes, but my eyes were watery. I think he is a very intelligent man. I really wish I had gotten a picture.

I love little treasures like that... The best of all? A lovely Rainbow when I got home:

30 Aug 2012


faint rainbow overlooking Downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, Diamond head in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment