Friday, September 28, 2012

In Memory of Willard Moore

If you have been following me on Pinterest, you'd know that I've been really keen on Doctor Who. I am pinning everything into my wibbly wobbly timey wimey board. I love the Doctor and all of his companions (all, except Martha--really). It has really taught me a lot. It's one of those television shows that has everything for everyone.

I was watching the episode when the Doctor and Amy were with Vincent Van Gogh (spoilers!) and the Doctor said

the way I see it, every life is a pile of good things & bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but, vice versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant

The bad things in life don’t spoil the good things. I think that’s the disconnect with most people. I used to be able to hold a grudge against someone because of one bad thing that they did, and I forgot all of the good things that they did. Just because they did one bad thing, didn’t cancel out all of the good things.

On September 26th my Grandfather passed away. First and foremost, I love my grandfather. I wanted to make that extremely clear before I start this.

My grandfather did a lot of very bad things to his family when it came to money and he lied often. His reputation was tarnished and that’s what he was known for. Circa 1995: I remember when our family lived in Houston, he picked up my sister and me and he told us that he was taking us to a Leann Rimes concert. Leann was very popular during that time. My sister and I were so excited; we had never been to a concert before. We got to where the “concert” was supposed to be and there wasn’t one. No people. No stage. No Leann Rimes. I remember him stopping and asking people about the concert. My sister and I were upset, we went back home and didn’t say anything. It was a fabricated lie. Looking back, I think he was trying to show his love for us, but in his reality. I have heard stories as well as witnessed the damaged he has caused, this was just one example.

When I first found out that he was ailing a few weeks ago, I tried to remember good things about him. It was honestly very hard. My “memory well” was poisoned with stories and experiences. Of course, I didn’t want him to be sick or die. I later found out that he was going to go into hospice. Like David Tenant and Matt Smith always urge in Doctor Who, every human life is important. The bad things in life don’t spoil the good. I sat down and made a list of all the wonderful things and memories, a few are:

  1. The Fourth of July Parade with all of the family members.
  2. He used to drive with his knees and my sister and I would giggle.
  3. He would have a small refrigerator outside and it would be filled with Dr. Pepper.
  4. He had a pool and my sister and I would play in it with him, Aunt Janet, Uncle Robert, and their dog.
  5. When my family moved from Carlyle, IL to Houston, TX; I went with my grandpa via U-Haul. That’s when I formed my love of R&B. It took us a little over a day to get there.
  6. One thanksgiving during my college years, he helped us prepare Thanksgiving dinner.
  7. His love for BBC America, Sherlock Holmes, and Mysteries. He loved to read.
  8. He had this waterbed and he would throw my sister and I on it like it was a trampoline.

These great things will not be spoiled by the bad things. I will learn from my grandfather’s mistakes. Yes, there were bad things and good things. I think he was a good person who was just lost along the way. I love my grandfather so much. Anyone that reads this and knew him, please remember: The bad things in life don’t spoil the good things.

In Memory of Willard Moore

  



No comments:

Post a Comment